Thursday, July 11, 2013

TechBabies

Rory's story about finding his student's tweets got me wondering about how aware people REALLY are about their "online lives." It's funny, because we talk about kids 10-15 years younger than us as being the ones who really are the "plugged in generation" - I can still remember when my family got our first desktop computer in '98 or so, and then I turn around and see kindergarteners with iPads today. I consider my age group to be on that bubble of tech-savvy-ness: technology has been present most of our lives, but it's almost been growing with us. And yet, (not to sound like a typical self-absorbed millenial), I think maybe we're a bit wiser about its use than the younger, born-into-it age group below us.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I posted some really regrettable stuff on my Facebook in high school (not to mention my Xanga - yikes). But that was more along the lines of obnoxious song lyrics, not "poundin a fifth of jose with ma gurls xx." Granted, I wasn't really doing those things in high school, let alone posting about them, but still... My Facebook account has always been private. My Twitter is private. I think my Instagram is private? I mostly just post pictures of my dog though, so it's not too scandalous. (UPDATE: I checked. It's set to private). What I mean to say is that it's always seemed to be a kind of "well, duh" thing to me, to keep an eye on this stuff. Most of my friends are the same way. In a way, at least among the people I know, it's kind of frowned upon to not be at least a little responsible about your online image. If there was someone we knew of who was constantly posting pictures swigging from handles at frat parties, there was almost a bit of a backlash for doing that. The thought wasn't "oh, look how many parties this cool person goes to," it was "wow, s/he is going to have a hard time getting a job." That doesn't mean your profile has to be completely sanitized, just, ya know, keep it classy.
I guess I don't have online contact with anyone much younger than me, so I never really see these tendencies, but just from the time I've spent working with the middle school crowd, I can totally see how there might not be as much of a filter. But can we blame them? Part of what I think makes my age group a tinnnnnny bit savvier is that we have witnessed the birth and growth of sites like Facebook and Twitter. We were there when they started, and we understand (mostly) how they work. Do today's middle schoolers remember a time WITHOUT the dominance of social media? They've been thrust into this realm that they think they know how to navigate, but it's not exactly that simple. In addition, what 12-17-year-old is REALLY thinking about the implications their posts might have 5 years from now? It's so instantaneous, just one click and you've shared that picture that 20-year-old, internship-hunting you is going to regret. But that's a problem for Future You to worry about.
So what, then? How do we make our students more aware of these issues? DO we make them more aware of these issues? Or should they figure it out on their own? Is this just another pratfall of growing up in the digital age? Do we need a class for incoming 9th graders: "Managing Your Online Life"? Is that excessive? I mean, maybe when our parents were in school, the idea of something like D.A.R.E seemed unnecessary: "Do we really need a whole program to tell kids not to get addicted to crack?" (All arguments on D.A.R.E's effectiveness aside...) Or maybe just a mini-course? I'm not sure I have the answer. But I think it would be my job as a teacher to try to help.

9 comments:

  1. You really hit on an important point. Kids are still kids. They don't know what they don't know. They may have figured out how to post something on Facebook, but they have no idea what they should post on Facebook. The power of the Internet has given every kid an international bullhorn capable of broadcasting everything they can type or video across the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to tell you I just skimmed this after commenting on your last post and was struck by the words "handles at frat parties" so now I am hooked... Let me actually go read it now. HAHAHAH XANGA. Okay I am commenting on this in real time and I am actually laughing out loud. You are killing me! I love the concept of Future You. I think the class would be really informative and if not a class - at least an assembly of some sort. It would have hooked me in 9th grade! I remember all the drama in middle school on Livejournal - anonymous comments gone way overboard. Today's kids will have to live through an employer finding their ridiculous answers to even more ridiculously personal, embarrassing, and flat-out rude questions on sites like formspring (If you don't know what that is consider yourself lucky). Thanks for this hilarious and thoughtful post.

    ps: Emteach - keepin' it classy online since 1998
    pss: T!mE 2 g0 p0uNd a 5th of My M@!n BoYz - J@cK & MoRgAn wit ma B@d B'z. Holla At yo Gurl! ;-*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,
    What I'm most interested in here is whether you think it is our responsibility as educators to teach students how to be responsible online. Think about that in the context of Dewey's ideas about "social" education, and consider what that word means now in comparison to in 1897. What do you think Dewey would say?

    I enjoyed the post, although it made me feel old. I probably deactivated my Facebook account before some of you guys even knew it existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think we have a responsibility to our students on this issue... I'm just not sure to what extent. I wouldn't go so far as to say there should be a class on it. Maybe just some firm guidance from each teacher would be enough. Dewey talks about how the school should be both an extension of the home and a facet of society as a whole, and while we are certainly more open about our social lives than we were in 1897 (think concepts of courtship and entertainment especially), there are still certain norms that we are expected to follow. I feel like most students' parents would be similarly concerned with how their children are coming across online (because most of them have no clue), so in terms of the school/home/society connection, I think there's a strong case for each realm working together on this issue.

      Delete
    2. I think our responsibility as educators is to teach students how to properly use the internet. Misuse of the internet is always a possibility, but if we educate students, clear up misconceptions and myths about the internet and show the positive uses we can minimize misuse. I think we have to get used to using social media sites because that is the future. Books, paper and pens are becoming obsolete. As educators we have to prepare our students. We can learn as much as we can about the sites that our students visit and assist them with ways to use these site which will enhance learning both inside and outside the classroom.

      Delete
  4. Emily,

    I really like the way you tried to relate to what students might be thinking about on social media these days. A problem for FUTURE YOU is not something many middle school students care about. I'm not sure I would even care about it if you told me that in 7th grade. Getting my license seemed far away, let alone applying to schools and jobs. But I do think something needs to be done to address social media etiquette for these students. I like your idea of a class. Not sure if this could be an entire course, but possibly attached to something like the CCA at Scarlett. Very thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post. I tend to think that there is a place in school for this sort of education. We, being our generation, are more savvy about these things in part because we are older, but certainly, as you suggested, because we grew up with these websites and the knowledge that we should be careful what we put out there for people to see. Other parties had a vested interest in what we were putting on these pages because they were still being understood. Where could we put this information? I know that I had to take several computer courses in middle school. It would be pretty easy to open the class with a two week crash course on, first and foremost, what it really means when you post these things. But also, perhaps, highlight how what you do now could affect you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny that you mentioned Xanga. I had co-created a xanga blog with a friend. We went under a Pseudonym because we wanted privacy and anonymity. AND we were blogging about real life stuff and not any of the party, draankkk, etc. It's funny how priorities change so quick. Even today, I barely maintain an online presence. I'm almost looking forward to seeing some of this from my students so i can lecture them early instead of them figuring it out the hard way later in life. Plus, it'll provide a good story. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am under the impression that anything you put online is open to the public. This may not be true. Before I set up blogs and other online educational accounts, I will instruct students about proper netiquette and online security prior to any online activities. Students will be made aware of the great educational opportunities on line but will also be supervised. There are a number of programs that allow you to watch students as they use the computers.

    ReplyDelete