Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Classrooms & Technology - How Would it Work?


My artistic skills leave something to be desired, but I did manage to get down some version of what my ideal classroom would be. At the top, as a possible alternative for a whiteboard, I have written "Or a clear Iron Man touchscreen. Whichever." That's probably a little ambitious, but it would certainly be fun.
On a more practical note, something that you can't tell from my drawing is that the desks are two-person tables with wheels. This would allow for ease of movement in different classroom layouts, while also giving everyone a partner for class activities. iClickers and tablets for each student would be nice, though I think instead of an iPad or similar, I would go with a Nook or Kindle Paperwhite - something without unlimited internet access (at least I'm pretty sure they don't have web browsers). Along the lines of what was discussed in class, I would also love to use iClickers as a way to keep students engaged in each class. Additionally, they could be useful to me as a teacher because they would allow me to check progress and understanding as we go along, and go back and clarify as needed.
Technology in the classroom is something I struggle with. On one hand, it DOES open up a ton of new possibilities for connecting with the material. There are definitely issues with making sure students stay on task and aren't abusing technology, but to me, there seems to be something even more than that. For an English class, there really is something about picking up a physical novel, turning the pages, and (gasp) writing in the margins. There's something about filling a 3-ring notebook with ideas from each semester. There's something about triumphantly printing out all 15 pages of a final essay the night before it's due, and actually holding weeks of hard work in your hands.
I'm probably waxing way too poetic here, and I don't mean to dismiss classroom technology. Looking up research resources online, or sending a last-minute clarification email can be real lifesavers (not to mention the number of times spellcheck has stepped in for me in this post alone). I guess what I think is that technology definitely has its place in the classroom, but it can't be the be-all and end-all of our learning experiences. And "advanced technology" is relative, anyway (remember when mechanical pencils were a novelty?). I think it's up to each teacher to decide what technological aspects would work best with their specific curriculum, and to implement them as they see fit. Hopefully, this is something that I just started to touch on in the sketches we did today.

5 comments:

  1. Desks with wheels! What a great idea! It would be so nice to be able to move desks easily to rearrange the room. These would prove very efficient when it comes to group work. I also love the idea of your iron man, glass, touch screen in place of the whiteboard. Very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps were not so far from the "Iron Man"-like computer screens. I've seen virtual keyboards (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e722/) available for a couple of years now. We're getting closer; we almost have the technology. I have to imagine that will see Kinect-like, gesture-based interfaces in Windows 10. It's just a matter of getting the screen big enough. That's why I share your affection for whiteboards with their wide open canvas and colorful possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly (in this instance), nooks and kindles do have web browsers. However, I agree with all other points raised. Love when you (gasp) ironically and completely identify with your point. I have a kindle and though it is so convenient, cheap, and saves me thousands of trips to bookstores when I'm on vacation, there is just something missing about not turning paper pages. I can't explain it. And let me tell you, for me, mechanical pencils are indeed still a novelty. I loved your blog and thought it was thought-provoking and easy to identify with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the desks with wheels Emily, I feel like that would be a great way to increase classroom involvement and participation. I would be interested to better understand the "I clicker" and its use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, Emily, I thought big, as well: holographic device in the middle of the room and planetarium-like ceiling, to name a few. And, with what experiences I had previously had as part of my "teacher history" thus far, I increasingly balanced my use of newer technologies with the advent of each new year. Hopefully, I will continue to do so, in and out of the classroom, as well as have some sense of technological (and other) autonomy in the classroom.

    But, as I read your post, I realized that, just maybe, we should consider what technologies align with our students' interests. Regardless of what they may be, we do have a responsibility to guide our students in technology's appropriate and more helpful uses.

    Nevertheless, I, too, have had a personal struggle with incorporating technology into my life (academic or otherwise) ... with using a laptop for note-taking, reading some of my books on my Nook, using my cell phone for more than just emergency calls, organizing home finances with Excel--but, you're right. The tactile venture of opening the printed book, perhaps smelling the yesterdays contained in the brittle pages of an old one, watching the dust motes navigate there way through ambient light in library stacks--all of those sensory adventures can mean so much. And some of those older technologies, thought they sometimes seem ancient--dare I say, antediluvian--may still serve some purpose yet.

    Could you imagine if all electronic records worldwide were irreversibly lost?

    ReplyDelete